You purchase insurance in case of an emergency for your large life purchases- your home, your vehicle, your belongings and your health. Most vacations cost thousands of dollars and, in some cases, families have scrimped and saved over time in order to take their once in a lifetime trip.
Generally speaking, travel insurance can cover all aspects of your trip from lost or delayed luggage to flying you out of a remote location if you need medical assistance. The cost is usually minimal compared to the cost of your trip and can save you many headaches, lost money from a trip that cannot be taken and, in some cases, even your health.
I often think that clients do not understand the value of travel insurance until it is explained to them. I also understand that it can feel like you already spent enough money on your trip, so pulling out your checkbook to write another $400 (I just pulled this number out of the air) seems unnecessary because “nothing will happen”. However, you just never know and, just like with your car or your health, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry?
Here are some ways that travel insurance can add value to your trip:
- Handling the Unexpected. You have saved for your perfect vacation and are all ready to go and then an elderly parent become hospitalized, a child becomes seriously ill or there is a work emergency. Travel insurance can save your perfect trip so you can take it at a later date.
- Rebooking for Later. A policy that includes trip cancellation will allow you to preserve your funds so you can rebook with your agent at a later date.
- Trip Interruption. You are in the middle of a fantastic trip and get a phone call that there has been an accident at home and you need to return immediately. Trip interruption coverage allows you to return home in the middle of your trip and recover most of your investment.
- Lost Baggage. If your luggage is lost or stolen, baggage benefits on your policy can help you replace the essentials that have gone missing.
- Help with Problems. Having emergency travel assistance with your policy is essential. This provides your with a team available 24-7 to deal with emergencies. This could be a need for an attorney or lost or missing travel documents.
- Keeping your Healthy. If you become sick or injured while in another country, travel insurance with medical benefits allow you to be directed to a local English-speaking hospital or doctor.
- Getting you Home. If your insurer determines that your health and medical situation is an emergency and that you cannot be helped where you are, they can arrange for you to be moved to a proper hospital or medivac you back home.
- Peace of Mind. The peace of mind knowing that almost every situation that could arise would be covered by your travel insurance policy is probably the most important item on this list.
There are also insurance options if you are traveling closer to home. Your agent can provide you with an accurate quote in just a few minutes.
You use a professional for your taxes, your car repairs, your hair so why aren’t you using a professional for your travel needs?
In this day and age with hundreds of websites full of travel information, discount deals and special offers constantly in front of us, people need the services of a travel professionals more than ever.
- They read the fine print and compare offers. There are a lot of deals on the internet seem far too good to pass up and people wonder why the quote they received from an agent was higher. However, what they are missing is the small details from the discount website quote that makes it less expensive. For example, it is a lower category room, doesn’t include transportation to/from the airport, includes horrible flight times, etc. An reputable agent is trained to put together the best possible deal for you and include everything you need for a stress free trip.
- They are your personal vacation shoppers. One you have established a relationship with an agent, you become more than just a client. They will often keep you in mind if they come across a deal or a trip that you might be interested in.
- The Human Factor. Let’s face it, a discount internet site isn’t going to share you vacation excitement and have real interest in how your trip was when you return.
- They are the experts. Like your doctor or mechanic, a good agent will ask the right questions, listen to your answers and help to guide you to the best fit for your vacation time.
- They can manage both the product AND the service of your vacation. A travel agent knows how to sell you the vacation that fits your needs-the airline and resort, the cruise or the vacation closer to home. They also offer the service that will guarantee your vacation is stress free and goes off without a hitch.
The best way to find a reputable travel agent is to ask your friends and family. You might be surprised how many people actually use an agent for their travel needs!
So, the next time you’re thinking about a vacation, give a travel agent a try!
Let me start out by saying we know all about them. Those not-so-secret sites that offer all the amazing travel deals and coupons for travel. 🤐
We also know that there are times that those sites can beat the prices we are able to find for you on that amazing all-inclusive vacation or the cruise to the Bahamas. You might think that it would pain me to type that they can sometimes beat my prices. But it doesn’t.
I swear It doesn’t bother me at all that those sites are out there. I’m the first person who loves a a great deal and I cannot fault anyone else who does too.
However, imagine this: someone in your party has lost their passport or you are having a problem with your resort hotel room that is not being resolved on site. Then imagine yourself holding at an 800 number for 40 minutes to get in touch with a customer service representative to try and help you only to be told they offer you zero assistance once you have booked your trip. 😱
Now, I cannot tell you that every booking site works that way. What I CAN tell you is that if you feel strongly that you are going to book your once in a lifetime vacation through a discount site, that you know EXACTLY what kind of service will be offered to you should you run into a problem down the line. What if someone in your party should become ill and you need to return home in the middle of the trip? Can they help you with that? Did they offer you the option of travel insurance which would have taken care of the expenses associated with returning home suddenly? Or, will you be left high and dry and the $400 you saved by booking on your own suddenly seems like pennies when presented with a suitcase full of problems and nobody to help you carry it (do you like how I used the suitcase analogy there?) 💼
I want to cover just a few of the reasons why you should give a travel professional a chance.
- A LOT OF US ARE FREE. Yep. You read that correctly. Some people assume we must cost money for our time and you’re going to be writing a big, fat check to us for sending you on that cruise. I cannot speak for all agents because some do charge a fee, however most of us do not. We offer you our time and our expertise at ZERO charge to you. We search out the information on your perfect vacation, find the best deals, book it, and handle any problems that arise while you are gone for the NOTHING. That’s not to say we do not get paid. We do. We all earn a commission from the hotels, the resorts or the cruise lines. You should know that he commission we earn from the suppliers is pretty standard across the board. Do not worry for a second that when we are offering you several resort options we are not swayed by the amount of money we would make. Our suggestions are based on YOUR personal and specific needs and requests. NEVER by any amount of money we would make.
- I WANT YOU TO GET A GREAT DEAL. Yep. You read that one correctly, too. If you find that amazing Internet deal, bring it to me. I’d be happy to look it over and validate what they’re offering. I’d also like the option to see if I can match that price, find you a better deal or get you a few extra goodies that you aren’t going to get booking on your own. See…I’m not anti Internet deals at all!
- YOUR FAMILY WILL PUT YOU IN THE LOONY BIN. By this one I’m talking about planning that big multi-generational family trip to Disney World or on a cruise. You have to keep everyone happy from Grandma down to Baby Timmy. I’ve been there. I planned two Disney trips with both sides of my extended family- one trip was 17 people. Do you know how difficult it can be to keep 17 people happy? I hope you do not. It can be difficult to be impartial about plans- or make people believe you are impartial about plans- if you are part of the group. This is where a travel professional can come in. I can provide the information about why that knitters retreat might not be the best option for everyone and tell her that I found a great cruise that will have a knitting group on board. Essentially, I can help make everyone happy.
- DISNEY WORLD. For so many families a trip to Disney World is a once in a lifetime experience. You only see Disney through your kids eyes for the first time once and you want to make it as magical as you can. I want it to be as magical for you as it can be. Book Disney with someone who knows the ins and outs of the most magical place on earth. Travel professionals that book Disney know how many days in advance you can make dining reservations, we can recommend the restaurants with the best character meet and greets, we can hep you with your Fast Passes, rand recommend the resorts that would be the best fit for your family.
❤I do what I do because I love sending families on an amazing adventure. ❤An adventure that will create memories they will carry with them forever. Every vacation I book for someone feels like MY vacation. I take your good time personally. Can one of those vacation sites do that…..😉